Thursday, November 3, 2011

searching

Sometimes, I’m searching for a book, and I know exactly what book it is, only I can’t find it. Or name it, even.

I take the books off the shelves, and I read them one by one. But even before I get halfway in, I know this isn’t it. This isn’t what I’m looking for. But I have to finish, and when I do, I move on to the next one.

These days I find myself searching, searching, searching.

This can mean one of two things: Either, the story I’m searching for is inside me, waiting to be let out. Or it can mean that I need to go back. Back to the books who – when I read them that first time – made me say: This! This is it!

Today is one of those days where I put down a story half finished, tired of searching, and went back.

The book I went back to is The Forgotten Beasts of Eld by Patricia McKillip. I first read it when I was twelve years old, and have since read it dozens of times, and every time, I know exactly what will happen next. But it doesn’t matter. Because, to me, it’s perfect. It’s the story I’ve been craving.

What stories are you craving?