Friday, January 20, 2012

fairy tales and truth telling


Look! A hoard of treasure:


So I just got home from the library with six books, currently sitting on my living room floor, all talking about the use and value and meaning of fairy tales.

Speaking of, here’s a roundtable discussion about fairy tales between storytellers, authors, actors, linguists, professors, and psychiatrists. It’s a bit long, but worth it, I think, if you’re someone who takes fairy tales and storytelling seriously. There’s a point where Jack Zipes talks about truth and fairy tales, which I loved, because it’s something I think about a lot. That is, about the truth in stories, or telling the truth through non-truths, and the question of what is truth anyway? 

All my life I've looked to books to tell me the truth. In fact, I'm pretty convinced that books and stories tell the truth far more often than the people around us do. Not that this is good or bad, only that it... is.

Anyways, here's a little bit of how Charles Dickens feels about Little Red Riding Hood:

She was my first love. I felt that if I could have married Little Red Riding Hood, I would have known perfect bliss. 

I have a serious crush on Mr. Dickens. 

Back to reading...

No comments:

Post a Comment