Tuesday, February 7, 2012

a book review of sorts


I just finished The Fault in Our Stars, a story about a sixteen-year-old girl named Hazel who has terminal cancer. The book is not about having terminal cancer though – I mean, it is and it isn’t. It’s about dying, but it’s also about living, and loving, and everything in between.

I spent roughly the entire second half of the book thinking “oh no oh no oh no…” not because I thought something terrible was going to happen every few pages, but because I knew (every few pages) that I was going to start crying all over again. Seriously, I wonder how many times John Green cried as he wrote it. A lot of times, I’m willing to bet.

But. This book isn’t just heart-wrenchingly sad. It is also deliriously witty. Most of all, though, it is beautiful, and intelligent, and *hopeful* in an honest way. Honest is maybe the key word here. I felt John Green was uncompromisingly honest in his telling of the story, and what I loved and appreciated so much about his honesty was that it didn't beat out hope. 

Aside from being my favourite line in the book (a line that isn't particularly hopeful... or maybe it is?) I felt like these words summed up the story completely:

It’s hard as hell to hold on to your dignity when the risen sun is too bright in your losing eyes.

I promise if you read The Fault in Our Stars, you won’t be disappointed. (Unless, of course, you have a deep aversion to crying your eyes out. If this is the case, consider yourself warned!)

_______________________________________________________________________

Addendum: okay, so I just read the last page again, and for heaven's sakes, go read this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment