Sunday, June 30, 2013

a pause

I'm on the last leg of a revision, and as I think back over just how much this story has changed in the past year and a half (a lot - it's changed a lot), it's also stayed exactly the same. Or maybe what I mean is, it's become truer. It's as if all of my revisions were peeling back layer after layer and with each one, I've gotten a little closer to the heart of it. And this most recent revision has brought me closer than all the others. Or at least, I think and hope it has.

So I guess this post is a celebration of that. No matter what happens after this point, this little story and I have come a long way together. Even on the days when I look at it and think to myself, "I've read this so many times that I just can't bear to read another word", there is a deeper place that cherishes those words. Because I did what I set out to do. I captured on the page what I wanted to capture. The reason I ever started this story in the first place was because I needed to hold on to something that was precious to me.

I needed to make sure that I didn't forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment