Saturday, June 1, 2013

to be or not to be a dreadhead

That's the question.

You see, for the past five years, I've had these:


And for three years before that, I had another set of dreads (which I cut off, and promptly put back in as soon as my hair was long enough). So I've had my hair in dreadlocks for a while. You might even say that me and my dreads are in a long term relationship.

But lately I've been thinking: maybe I don't want them anymore. I mean, they're getting LONG. Really long. And they're unruly, messy, out-of-control. Which I like; that's the point of dreads. But as much as I love messiness, I also love newness. I'm the kind of person who gets bored easily, and after almost eight years of dreads, that's a lot of years with no hairstyle change.

Which is why I think I'm going to cut them off.

Yikes. Even just typing that last sentence prompts the voices in my head. The ones that gasp and say, But Kristen! Remember the last time, when you spent months crying your eyes out?

I'm older now, though. Wiser. More prepared.

Right?

I'm not going to do it yet. I'm just thinking about it. Which makes this whole ramble mostly just that.

So I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment