Friday, August 12, 2016

Exciting News

I've been sitting on this news for a long time  now and I can *finally* announce it...

THIS HAPPENED:



As many of you know, this is something I've been working towards for a very long time. This particular book I started when I was 17, finished when I was 24, rewrote from scratch at 26, then rewrote from scratch again at 28. (Not to mention the countless revisions that happened in between all those years). I turned 30 yesterday. That means this particular story has been with me, in various forms, for roughly 13 years.

In those 13 years I wrote other books, signed with an agent, worked with a lovely editor on the book of my heart (it didn't get published in the end), lost an agent (we're still buds), got mentored by National Book Award finalist Franny Billingsley (best thing to ever happen to my writing), got into Pitch Wars and was mentored again by Renee Ahdieh and Traci Chee (best thing to happened to my self-confidence), and signed with my new agent (the cheerfully fierce Heather Flaherty) who sold my dragon book. (Is it really about dragons? You'll have to read it to find out.).

What does this all mean?

It means that as of late 2017 a real book written by me will be out in the world. It means I get to be the thing I've wanted to be for as long as I can remember: a girl who makes up stories for a living. (Which, frankly, is just as terrifying as it is thrilling.)

It also means, for now at least, I'm putting my ceramic practice on hold. I love making pottery, and I'll miss the studio, and the shows, and the community, and instructing, but writing is my first love, and I need to give it my best shot.

With that, I'm putting this blog to rest and will now be posting thoughts and updates over at my new website. You can check that out here.

I want to end with a thank you to everyone who's been encouraging me, loudly or quietly, along the way. I see you and please know: it is such a gift to be believed in. So from the bottom of my heart: thank you thank you thank you.


xo Kristen

1 comment: